Saturday morning Handling Class at Bark Avenue in Mesa (McKellips and Lindsay)
beginning April 26, 2014, 10:00 a.m.
Cost: $10 per handler
INTERESTED IN HANDLING YOUR OWN DOG IN CONFORMATION?
Learn the art of showmanship in Handling Classes taught by Phyl Scalf and Robert Churchey. From teaching a dog to "hold," to gaiting the dog, to understanding ring procedure, the classes offer a positive learning environment that taps the power of the handler/dog relationship.
To contact us about the classes, click on the "Contact Us"
bar on the side bar menu or call 602-320-2437.
DROP-IN ALL BREED HANDLING CLASS
Held outdoors on grass at Bark Avenue Pet Supply
3109 E McKellips Rd #104, Mesa, AZ 85213.
Bark Avenue Pet Supply is on the south side of McKellips, east of Lindsay and west of Val Vista. Once in the parking lot, go around the south side of the building. Approach the gate slowly and it will open. Parking is along the right side of the road and around in the back. Be sure to park only in designated areas and keep all fire lanes (curbs are painted red where there is a fire lane) clear. This is a bring-your-own-chair venue if you will need a place to rest during class. Please bring ample water for yourself and your dog. The area where class is held is fenced.
Saturday, 26th. 10:00 a.m. - 10:50 a.m.
Saturday, 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st. 10:00 a.m. - 10:50 a.m.
Handling Classes are a structured practice session to train handlers and their dogs for conformation competition. It is serious training about how to professionally present your dog and have fun doing it.
All Breed classes are open to dogs of all sizes and breeds.
For Drop In Classes, the handler should be familiar with basic ring procedure and have some experience in competition. If you are new to the world of dog shows, we highly recommend that you take an Introductory Class before starting the Drop In Handling Classes.
Drop In class is $10 per class pay-as-you-go or purchased in set of four classes ($40) and you recieve the 13th class free after attending 12 classes. Introductory classes are $20.00 per person and class size is limited to four participants.
Classes are held by appointment on Sundays, 9:00 a.m.
Introduction to the basics of handling a dog in conformation -- from which lead and collar to select, to how to hold the lead, to how to do a down and back and a triangle. This class is for the novice handler with little or no ring experience. Class size limited to 4 handlers. Prerequisite to Drop-in Handling.
Fee: $20 per meeting for 50 minute class.
- All Drop In class fees are to be paid (cash, check or PayPal) at the time of sign-in/check-in; no refunds. $35 charge for checks returned unpaid by bank.
- Participants must sign-in prior to partipating in a class or activity. (Sign-in sheet contains a current list of policies for participation in class.)
- Multiple dogs handled by one person are treated as one dog in terms of class participation.
- Dogs must be kept on lead at all times (if not crated) and kept under control by the handler.
- Owner/handler provides equipment for their dog(s).
- Owner/handler must clean up after their own dogs (please bring plastic bags for this purpose).
- Owner/handler provides crates for ring side if multiple dogs are handled.
- Children and youth under the age of 18 must be accompanied during the entire class time by a parent, guardian, or designated agent.
- Class participants certify that the dog handled in the class is not a menace to people or other animals.
- Class participants certify that the dog handled is healthy and free from communicable diseases. [Please consult your veterinarian regarding needed vaccinations.]
- No portion of the class may be photographed or video-taped for electronic or other media publication without the permission of the instructor. By participating in classes or activities sponsored by Ruya LLC and/or The Pudgy Pup LLC participants automatically give permission for standard photo use release.
- Ruya LLC and The Pudgy Pup LLC retain the right to refuse service to any person whose behavior is inconsistaent with the AKC Code of Sportsmanship and/or who exhibits behaviors that, in the opinion of Ruya LLC and/or The Pudgy Pub LLC, put other individuals or animals at risk.
- For safety purposes, no open-toed shoes and/or sandals or spiked soles on the agility matting; tennis shoes recommended.
- These policies and any procedures are subject to change without notice.
A copy of policies is avaialbe on request at any class.
Phyl Scalf and Robert Churchey, Professional Handlers ~ (602) 320 - 2437
RUYA LLC ~ PO Box 20645 ~ Mesa, Arizona 85277 - 0645
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTORS:
Phyl Scalf and Robert Churchey started in the world of purebred dogs as owner handlers. While balancing their family responsibilities and careers, they were active in all breed and specialty clubs. In 1999, they began to handle professionally and in 2007, starting offering their own Handling Classes in partnership with The Pudgy Pup. Each had taught classes for a local kennel club so offering their own classes was a natural progression.
Phyl's dedication to sharing knowledge and mentoring has been reflected in both her vocations and avocations. She holds a Master of Science in Educational Psychology with an undergraduate degree in Teaching Psychology and Sociology. She began her non-dog career as a teacher and then moved into program development. She advanced from program development to executive management in the nonprofit sector. She currently is also the lead artist at Ruya Creations, a division of RUYA LLC.
Robert has a Master of Science in Criminal Justice and has served as a municipal police officer. He taught in a community college and was a trainer for various subjects related to law enforcement. He has served in various volunteer positions in nonprofit social service agencies.
Phyl and Robert moved to Arizona in 1988 and live in Mesa. They raise and breed Rhodesian Ridgebacks and Tibetan Spaniels. Every aspect of their lives reflects their passion for dogs and their love for the sport of purebred dogs.
Serious about the art of dog handling. TM